Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Honey, I'm hoooome

You know, I always have heard third times a charm, but luckily this time around it was only the second! I don't think my little heart could have taken it. For those of you who don't know, I was stuck in America for a few days longer than expected because of flight delays and filled up flights. But what a truly lovely few days they were, and then I was really itching to get to Bolivia!

The entrance to my new home!
AND NOW I'M HERE! In my new home for the next year! So much has already happened, and I definitely chose the correct name for my blog: Overwhelmed!!!!

My placement changed again right before I got down to Bolivia. I am now working in Hogar Sagrado Corazon in Montero, Bolivia--a home for over 120 girls whose parents have died, are unable to take care of them, or keep a harmful home for their children (many times involving abuse). I have put a page up at the top of my blog ^ of a video of my new home! Godwilling I will stay here! At this point, I am ready for anything :)

Upon entering the Hogar, I was greeting with so many little faces and little hands wanting to say "Hola". It was the start of a beautiful friendship. This constant need for love and attention from every which direction has not halted in my two weeks here, and I feel blessed to be able to be only one pair of God's hands here in this hogar. This pair of hands is embracing young girls who are missing their mothers and fathers; teaching the girls hand games that it hasn't played in YEARS, but that it still remembers by heart; playing La Cucaracha with the little ones (which is my new Spanish version of my favorite game Ticklebug!); caressing the faces of little girls in tender moments; coloring birthday cards for the girls to make their special day even more special; and now typing here so that I may share these beautiful girls with the rest of the world!! How lucky I am to be these hands.

Here in the hogar, I have been given great responsibility already! I am in charge of the hogar's Madrina program, which is a sponsorship program run by the volunteers here that connects each girl here with a godmother, godfather, or godfamily that can donate money and correspond at least twice a year to ensure a promising future for each girl. It really is such a great program, and the girls love receiving the special gifts from their madrinas. With this comes many responsibilites: keeping track of the account (money matters), many trips to the post office, recording every correspondence, getting together birthday gifts for the girls, and raising all of the money for Christmas gifts for the girls!! More on that later. I also am in charge of the library here at the hogar--opening it a couple times of day for the girls to do homework on the five working computers, to read, to color and do puzzles, and to play games on Sunday. It is such a cool atmosphere when there is a "Solo Libros" day--looking around at all the gears turning in their little minds is SO rewarding.

It is so hot, dusty, and smelly here. For those of you who were wondering, the burning of sugar cane smells just like a thousand dirty diapers. But I find myself getting used to all of the quirks of Montero. Riding into town on the back of a moto is a little joy that I SO look forward to--hopefully I'll have a picture soon! The girls here do not care how dirty or sweaty I am--although sometimes they may point out to me that I am mojada. Although I sometimes get frustrated not knowing certainly words, the girls here think my Spanglish is funny.

So all in all, things are really great here. God is definitely trying to show me that I cannot nor do not control everything--changing my placement around on me, delaying my departure a bit, throwing me some curve balls here and there. He wanted me in an hogar all along, and I definitely feel like this is exactly where I am supposed to be. I've just got to learn to fully commit to "LET GO, let God." :)

Chau from Bolivia! (These crazy Bolivians and their goofily smelled Italian salutation!)
Lains

P.S. The internet connection is not strong enough for picture uploading but hopefully I will get them up soooooon!!

Also, for those wondering, here is my address!!
Voluntarias Salesianas
Attn: Lainie Sanker
Casilla #4 de Correo
Montero, Santa Cruz
Bolivia

1 comment:

  1. Happy to read of your arrival and falling immediately in love with the girls and being present to them. Saw you an hour ago in photo at Tom & Laura's blog. God bless! With prayers.

    ReplyDelete